Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Actress Vianessa Castaños talks about being curly and Latina../ Actriz Vianessa nos habla de como es ser Latina con el pelo rizo..

It is just an honor to have this little interview with his talented and humble curly girl, Thanks a lot to Vianessa to be a representation of a Curly, Latin, woman in Hollywood, many success to come


  Who is Vianessa
 I am an actress and a lover of life! I started working in theater as a kid and have always loved performing. I had success as a child model but as I got older I realized that I feel more comfortable and enjoy embodying different characters and turned my focus to acting.

Where are you from and how natural hair is visualize there?
 - My family is from the Dominican Republic and I lived there as a child.  As a whole, the culture in DR has a rather unhealthy stance on race and hair texture.  Typically, 'natural' or curly hair is frowned upon whereas having 'pelo bueno' or straight hair was the ideal.  Even though things have changed a bit and individuals take more freedom with their hairstyles nowadays, the idea of good hair vs. bad hair is still prominent.  I personally find it ridiculous, I love my hair and think that it's perfect. I can style it any way I want, be it curly or straight, long or short, but I still grew up hearing that my curls were undesireable.

 How long you have you been natural, did you ever relaxed your hair? 
- I had some relaxers in my hair when I was a kid, but I've been natural since high school.  Once I figured out how to use styling products and flat irons, it wasn't necessary to put any chemicals in my hair.  I prefer to wear my hair natural/curly the majority of the time, but since I'm an actor I do straighten (with curlers or flat iron) if it better suits a character that I'm portraying.
What is your hair regimen? 
- I don't really have one lol.  I usually just wash my hair, detangle it and use leave in conditioner and a bit of hairspray to keep the curls separate.

Have you have obstacle for your hair in the media?
-  Again, because of my work as an actor, I do have obstacles with my hair every now and then.  I go out for Spanish speaking, latina roles often and because my hair is so curly, I often have to straighten or I'm perceived to be biracial (african american and white) and not Hispanic.  I find it silly only because so many latin american countries have a high percentage of African heritage, especially Dominican Republic, and therefore I am multiracial, but my curly hair isn't accepted as being sterotypically 'latina' hair.

Do you have any hair product of your preference? 
 - I've used Kinky Curly curling custard in the past. And yes, it seems biased because I was a hair model for them but the products really are amazing!



I absolutely love my hair.  It took a long time to learn to love it, especially as a kid when I constantly heard negative things about it both at home and in school, but now I can appreciate it for what it is.  It's a display of my ancestry and I wouldn't dare deny that!
Find out more about Vianessa and her work here 

Links: www.facebook.com/soundbitesbyvianessa
Twitter: www.twitter.com/vianessa
Website: www.vianessa.com

Español

Es sólo un honor el contar con esta pequeña entrevista en nuestro blog de esta hermosa, humilde y talentosa mujer con un pelo rizado hermoso ¡Muchas gracias a Vianessa por representar a la mujer Latina  en  Hollywood,  Muchos  éxito  por venir hermosa...

Quien  es Vianessa
  - Soy una actriz y un amante de la vida! Empecé a trabajar en el teatro cuando era un niña y siempre me ha gustado actuar. Tuve éxito como modelo infantil, pero a medida que crecía me di cuenta que me siento más cómodo y disfruto de encarnar personajes diferentes y mi atención  se volvió a la actuación.

¿De dónde eres y cómo se visualiza el pelo natural o Rizo?
 - Mi familia es de la República Dominicana y viví allí cuando era niña. En sentido general, la cultura en la República Dominicana tiene una actitud poco saludable a  las razas y la textura del cabello. Por lo general, el cabello "natural" o rizado es mal visto, mientras que con 'pelo bueno' o el pelo liso eres el ideal. A pesar de que las cosas han cambiado un poco y ya se tiene  más libertad con los  peinados hoy en día, la idea de el pelo buno en contra pelo malo sigue siendo considerable. Personalmente me parece ridículo, me encanta mi pelo y creo que es perfecto. Puedo hacer lo que quiera con el y llevarlo con diferentes estilo de cualquier manera que quiera, ya sea rizado o liso, largo o corto, pero aún así crecí escuchando que mis rizos eran indeseable.

¿Cuánto tiempo has estado natural, alguna vez te has alisado?
- He usado alisados o relajantes en mi pelo cuando era una niña, pero he estado natural, desde la secundaria. Una vez que me di cuenta de cómo utilizar los productos para el cabello y planchas, que no era necesario poner productos químicos en el cabello. Yo prefiero usar mi cabello natural / rizado, la mayoría de las veces, pero como yo soy una actriz si me lo pongo lacio a menudo (con rulos o planchas) si se ajusta mejor a un personaje que estoy retratando.

¿Cuál es tu régimen de cabello?
- Yo realmente no tengo uno lol. Normalmente yo sólo lavo el pelo, lo desenredo y utilizo acondicionador sin enjuague y un poco de laca para el cabello para mantener los rizos por separado.

¿has tenido algún obstáculo por tu cabello en los medios de comunicación?
- Una vez más, a causa de mi trabajo como actriz, tengo los obstáculos con el pelo de vez en cuando. Si salgo a buscar papeles en español, de latina a menudo y porque mi pelo es tan rizado,  tengo que alisarlo o  me perciben como birracial (afro-americana y blanca) y no como hispana o Latinas. Me parece una tontería  porque los países latinoamericanos muchas tienen un alto porcentaje de  herencia africana, especialmente en la República Dominicana, y por lo tanto soy multirracial, pero mi pelo rizado no se acepta como estereotipo del pelo de una  'latina'.

¿Tiene algún producto para el cabello de tu preferencia?
 - He utilizado  Kinky Curly curling custard  en el pasado. Y sí, parece sesgado porque yo era una modelo del cabello para ellos, pero los productos realmente son increíbles!

Me encanta mi cabello. Me tomó un tiempo para aprender a amarlo, sobre todo cuando era un niña cuando oía constantemente cosas negativas sobre él tanto en casa como en la escuela, pero ahora lo puedo apreciar por lo que es. Es una muestra de mis antepasados ​​y yo no me atrevería a negarlo!
Sigue a Vianessa y conoce mas de su trabajo en estos enlaces


 Links: www.facebook.com/soundbitesbyvianessa
Twitter: www.twitter.com/vianessa
Website: www.vianessa.com


9 comments:

  1. Love the hair, always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to have that hair! it´s beautiful and super sexy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natural hair, no matter what its texture, needs to be embraced and celebrated. Curls are beautiful, so are waves, and so is straight hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you have that right< Unknown mami, every woman is beautiful...ps(I love your name)

      Delete
  4. It does take time to embrace our curly hair - once we know how to manage it then I think we can make peace with it. I must admit, I hardly wver wear my curls. I need to find the right products I think. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview! I have wavy curly hair and I've learned that it's all about product! And who cuts your hair. I used to have boy short hair and now that my hair is past my shoulders, I find that longer hair is much harder to manage. I think the hype around hair is ridiculous and causes unnecessary insecurity among women. Curls are beautiful. And so is straight. But then when it comes to hair, most of us want what we can't have.

    ~ Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wavy hair is a lesson in time management...love the long curls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also love my curly hair! Love that you rock it natural. I tend to blowdry more. It's less work! Pa'lante fellow Dominicana!

    ReplyDelete